Friday, May 2, 2014

Pig's Eve

I just got back from the Packet Pickup for the Flying Pig 5K!  I had been to the Duke Energy Convention Center for the World Choir Games and this year's Heart Mini Expo, but have never it as packed as it was for the Flying Pig.  The doors opened at noon, and whether people were coming on their lunch break or making it a three day running holiday or both, it was packed! 

A skywalk across the street took me to the Millennium Hotel second floor, bustling with runners.  There were lines that didn't lead anywhere and, having followed a few, it was like a maze without walls.  Nuff of this!  I said to myself and, acting as officious as I could, sideways slipped my way into the Grand Ballroom.  The collected participants made the Grand Ballroom feel more Baby Grand, as there was little room to maneuver; progress was made by the decisive, and I wish I were a little more decisive.

Everything is new for the first timer, and one should expect to make mistakes.  I got in the 5K packet pickup line only to realize that I had registered late.  I stood in the Late Registration line for a while before a helpful volunteer explained that "late registration" in this sense meant those who wished to sign up today.  I was then directed to the "Blue Table".  I don't know why it's blue, if it's blue at every race, or if it's the blue table because you're depressed you're in the in the longest, serpentining queue in the room, but the third line proved to be the charm, and I now had my packet.  Time to get downright piggish, swag time!

The Pig's Packet: Packet, Number Bib, Race Shirt, and Poster

The Expo was an amazing collection of running products, community event booths, a personal appearance by WWE Hall-of-Famer "Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart, and samples galore!  I felt like a kid on Halloween, with my Flying Pig bag filled with goodies from P&G, sports foods I hadn't yet come across but am eager to try, and a water bottle from the American Diabetes Association.  There were so many interesting looking running products: drinks, fuels, shoes, inserts, apparel, music accessories, after-run mending goods.  Last but certainly not least was the race t-shirt and poster pickups.


Whew, I'm exhausted already!  What hustle, what bustle, what a great day.  I am now thinking about what I call "the walk" and others call "the race", anticipating what to expect but not trying to psych myself out; examining the course elevation, while attempting not to blow up the soreness in my left big toe from planking.  "I'm going to feel fine and do awesome!  I'm going to feel fine and do awesome!" is my mantra for tonight, and I hope, hope, hope I'm going to get a good night's sleep.  I know I'm not--I never do--but then it's adrenaline and grit that gets me through tough workouts.  Here's hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment