Friday, June 20, 2014

Eyeing Eleven Eleven


In addition to continued weight loss, the next goal I have set for myself is to beat my record mile run time of 11:11.  Last Saturday I completed the mile in 11:31, 21 seconds faster than the previous week.  If I were able to shave off another 21 seconds, then this new iteration of a better Mark would have the record!  I would no longer have to look back at having once done it better; rather I’ll be in uncharted territory with a lot of headroom to get better and better, pushing personal bests up and up along the way.

But I shan't put the cart before the horse; first 11:11.  I’m far from a natural runner, and the mile runs have been far from easy.  All this week I've worked on the three biggest things I feel will most improve my chances of sailing past my goal.  Most important is improving my breath.  I have enough muscle energy and endurance to complete the mile, and my heart rate isn't redlining.  It’s getting winded that forced me to slow to a walk four times week one and twice week two.  To improve this I've done a lot of high intensity interval training (HIIT) on the stationary bikes and tough, full-body pumping on the elliptical machine, really focusing on training, above the fat burning heart rate zone, in the cardiovascular zone, where the body’s endurance is increased.


I've also noticed that my abs have to work overtime keeping my belly up and in control, so I’ve been doing a countless variety of core work.  Abdominal exercises on the Swiss Ball, the Bosu ball, squishy mats of all shapes and sizes—I've done a little of it all.  It’s a shame that they say spot training is a myth, because I’d commit to that regiment if I could have a six pack for Christmas!  Where I rarely feel sore from exercising the abs (I think I don’t have good sensitivity in the area, or that I’m naturally strong from hefting around my weight), my midsection has been sore the last couple of days.  Today’s soreness is tomorrow’s muscles and, when I can run without an anchor about my waist, it will be well worth the effort.

Finally, I worked on my form and footwork.  While I clobber along like a Clydesdale, spritely Laurie has the footfalls of a fairy.  While Laurie’s shoulders are loose and allow for her arm movements to be fluid, mine are squared forward and locked in place, allowing me all the arm movement of a T-Rex—it’s ridiculous.  So there is room for conscience improvement. All throughout the week, I’ve been working on staying light on my feet; whether it was padding up the stairs, jogging half-strides up The Hill, or hopping around the heavy bag in kick boxing class.


So it is with these three improvements that I’m am gunning for my goal; wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment