Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Week Without Laurie


Laurie is a genius.  She found a way to take a week of well earned vacation for the Fourth and still make sure that her people don’t miss a week of training.  Shame on me for thinking that Laurie’s vacation meant an easy week for me!

Laurie pulled off this feat by connecting me to a wonderfully sweet lady she also works with.  On Sunday, Laurie emailed me a program of circuit training program to follow, and I set up the stations.  With the great form she’s taught us, we knocked them out with such efficiency that the Five Seasons’ trainers complemented us on our tenacity.  Laurie thought we might workout twice together, but when I asked my gym buddy if and when she next wanted to work out she told me Monday… Tuesday… Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday!  Taken aback yet impressed with her go-gettiveness, I found myself bargaining to have the Fourth of July off.



After telling Laurie how well the day went, she asked if another of her gals—a hilarious lady—could join us.  I didn’t hesitate a moment.  As working out alone can quickly become tedious, the more certainly is the merrier!  In our Laurie-less support group, all were welcome.  We did exercises targeting our biceps, triceps, chest, back, legs, and abs.  In mixing three spurts of high intensity interval training on the stationary bike, we put together an hour of hard work Laurie would be proud of.


As the week continued, with me doing my best Laurie impression, Laurie adjusted the exercises to avoid working the same major muscle groups in succeeding days.  On Thursday, as I was gassed pedaling on the third HIIT of the day, working out for the ninth day in a row, I realize the brilliance of Laurie: While she’s chillaxing in Florida, we’re still in the gym, staying focused, and continuing our training; we’re gaining confidence by working without her guiding touch.  And most of all, we’re missing the hell out of Laurie in her absence.  Here’s to the mastermind’s homecoming!


No comments:

Post a Comment