Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Party That Is My Team

The date was January 10, a Friday.  I found myself crossing the fine brickwork contained under Five Seasons Family Sports Club's elegant porte-cochere.  As I pass through the double wooden doors of the club, I note that it's a threshold I had not crossed for, what. . . at least seven years.  It was with regret I confessed that, while I had been a member since it opened, I had literally become an inactive member. 

As they had since I first saw it, my eyes drifted up toward the gorgeous twinkling purple ceiling that just connotes luxury, and caps what must be the most beautiful fitness facility in the city.  But when I looked down expecting, as it had been, an open lobby, I saw the kindly faces of the ladies that staff the welcome desk, now upstairs.  It is the first of many agreeable changes I was to noticed that lets me know that my old club, far from staying the same, has gotten even better--with more exercise equipment, upgraded facilities, even better food than I remembered.

A few minutes finds me in a conference room, with its over-sized table and big, castered chairs all around.  I was rendered in a surreal position, at the head of the table; and joined, two on either side, was  what I must indubitably call "my team."  Wow! 


It is very humbling to think that I could have a team to support and guide me through this weight loss adventure (To think about it too much stirs the nerves...).  They are:

"Gentleman" Joseph Pinnell--rocker of the bow tie--is the organizer of the contest, and is kind of my mentor through this journey.  Joseph is Five Seasons' Vice President of Club Performance.  With a background in hospitality, a field of which one might say amiability is taught, Joseph is genuinely among the nicest people one shall ever met.  He is tireless, hard working, and donates time and energy to the community.

Joseph rockin' it

Stephanie McFarland is Five Seasons Cincinnati's Personal Training Director.  Stephanie will help guide me into the some of the club's fitness classes, and even wants me to join her kickboxing class!

Mindy Homan is the club's Certified Health Coach.  Mindy will help me with nutrition, replacing poor food choices with healthy ones.  Mindy will be key in helping me find the right fuel mixture for challenging workouts to come. I look forward to working with her.

Last and possibly most important is the lovely Laurie Lefton, my personal trainer.  Laurie is a mother, and has a terribly nice husband.  While I think I might wilt under the machismo of a male trainer, Laurie's feminine energy is a great match for this mama's boy.  In addition to being nice and caring, Laurie is conscience of my physical abilities--of what I can and can't do--and I am excited to reduce my physical and improve my abilities, so to say, with her help throughout the year.

Beauty and the Beast, from Right to Left.  Myself and Laurie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I sat there, taking it all in and trying not be become overwhelmed, it became apparent how precious is the prize that I had won.  My team represent the most advanced approach to getting fit, and contact and compliance with them means that one can't help but get healthier.  Here's wishing for a healthy, ailment-free year!

2 comments:

  1. You are the man, Mark! We are the lucky ones to have you in our lives. You are going to help so many people as you share you journey. You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring story! Wishing you the best of luck Mark!

    ReplyDelete