Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Quick Health Update


I got a new CPAP machine Monday.  I had my last one for nearly seven years, and the new generation of apnea fighting apparati (that’s not the plural of “apparatus”, but how cool does it sound?) are auto-titrating.  This means that the machine has a range of pressures preset by my doctor and adjusts throughout the night as needed.  This means, conceivable, that in the near future I could ride the machine down to zero, and it will tell me when it’s not required. 

My doctor, nurses, and equipment consultants have all tried to temper my expectations, telling me that losing weight around my neck may not be the only factor causing my obstructive sleep apnea; that crowding of the tonsils, adenoids, etc., in the throat, and weakening of throat structures as one ages may mean that I could always require some sort of apnea therapy.  But I’m holding out hope.  Regardless, after five days with my machine I am sleeping as soundly as I can remember!

On Tuesday I went to see an ENT.  After interpreting my symptoms and sticking an awful scope through my left nostril and down my throat to examine my voice box, he diagnosed me as having laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR).  It’s basically when stomach acid come goes all the way up the esophagus to the voice box.  The voice box is far less tolerant of stomach acids than the esophagus, so regular, quick shot of digestive juices on the vocal cords that doesn’t stay around long enough to cause the irritation of the esophagus which causes heart burn, is what has been causing the vocal cord dysfunction, hoarseness, and coughing that I’d been experiencing especially for the past couple months.


The doctor put me on a proton-pump inhibitor, which reduces the production of gastric acid.  I feel a big difference already, and my symptoms are alleviating as my larynx heals.  This contributes to better, more restful sleep and I have had a wonderful bonus of energy to really attack my work outs.  I was surprised how light I felt on my feet  today in group and anticipate that I will have lost a bit of weight this week.  I hope my ever-intensify exercising and continued healthy eating will spur me on to another great run of weight loss.  Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment