Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Great Week Well Placed


It is always darkest before the dawn and, after a difficult time last week, this one’s been blessedly better.  I lost seven pounds in seven days and, at 302lbs, am knocking on the door of the 200’s!  It’s always a little easier to stay focused with goals within an earnest effort’s distance.  Breaking the Big 300 is a goal that has mustered my all into working hard and regularly, and by avoiding overeating by consistently making the right food choices.

I have been substituting proteins for the carb-y snacks that are oh-so tasty and cause me a heck of a time not eating too much.  With Mindy’s help I went from eating calorically-dense treats like Wheat Thins and Brownberry bread earlier in the year, to better choices, including the deliciously gluten-free Nut Thins and the super-food grain quinoa.  These foods are less processed, more nutritious, and—food addict that I am—aren’t diet wreckers when I’m weak willed and overindulge.

My go-to favorite proteins are Greek yogurt, reduced-fat string cheese, tuna, baked chicken breast, quinoa and another super-food, protein and fiber-rich edamame.  Protein makes me feel full longer and is the building material of the stronger muscles I’m spending so long at Five Seasons to develop. 

If diet was the first half of my success this week, exercise is the second.  I don’t know if it’s the depressions, but I sometimes forget the things that got me to the place I am.  From the beginning of the year, at my heaviest and most out of shape, Laurie worked me hard but smart, up to six days a week without becoming worn down or hurt.  But beginning right before the Color Run, I started babying myself.  It’s prudent to take it easy the day before a 5K, but I would psych myself out of gym for an additional day off, thinking I was sorer than I truly was.  If I don’t go to the Club in the morning I’ll brood and churn and end up finding reasons why not


The Glory goes to the man in the arena, and this week I’ve rediscovered and discovered how much stiffness and tightness goes away after the first five minutes and how much further I can push my new, fitter body.  There’s no shortcut to my ultimate weight goal and daily exercise adds the momentum that leaves bad habits in the past.  Here’s to not pumping the brakes this week!

2 comments:

  1. I can totally gain weight on diet food....I keep trigger foods out of my house. Changing bad habits is so hard. You are quickly becoming my hero! If you ever need to talk to a fellow foodaholic I am only a phone call away! Keep up the great work and don't pump those breaks!

    ReplyDelete