Thursday, April 24, 2014

Eating on Easter

For the first time in my decade long struggle against weight, I was able to eat a sensible meal with my extended family!  I did this by being honest with myself and my family.  No more denying that I have an eating problem; not addressing my concerns with my weight and relying on the go-along to get-along, good tact of loved ones not to confront an obvious issue; or retreating into a mask of flattened affect, in which I neither offered conversation nor was a good listener--This all proved fruitless, ensured no lifelong reforms, and made me a crap member of the family.

No, this change came through open honesty with others.  It was made easier by being able to boast about what I had won in the contest ("Two hours every week, with my own trainer..."), and being hemmed in by the expectations that come within this journey: to continue to eat, if not perfect, good enough to continue the momentum towards my goal.  So every family member knew what I was doing in life at this time, knew why I was eating the way I was, and, surprise- surprise!, they were overwhelmingly supportive of my efforts.

For the meal itself I decided that I was going to bring sushi to dinner.  Rich Easter casseroles, made with butters, creams, mayonnaise, and cheeses, while on the buffet, were off my plate.  I've never been a big fan of pork, loved me an adorable piglet far before I read the poignant "Charlotte's Web", and resemble Churchill's quote about our pink friends: "I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  Knowing that ham is a good source of lean protein and choosing to avoid it might make me more dietarily idiosyncratic than a vegetarian but, what can I tell you, I'm eccentric!


Making Easter less about the meal and more about the holiday allowed me to enjoy my family more, eat healthy, and continue unabated on my journey to Healthfullness.

Roadblock avoided!

No comments:

Post a Comment