Wednesday, April 9, 2014

How Do I Love Thee, Laurie? Let Me Count the Ways...


I believe myself to be exceptionally lucky to have two full hours each week, one-on-one, with Laurie Lefton.  Twice a week, I come to the club to see Laurie helping a handful of people in a group session (Laurie's ability is such that she can simultaneously help a handful people with a rotating attention), right before my hour; but like a selfish child demanding the attention of mother, I get Laurie all to myself! 
 
The Project in Progress and The Picture of Perfection
Laurie possesses that wonderful feminine energy that is quintessentially  motherly.  She's supportive and caring,  and nurtures while teaching.  And, as a mother would a child, Laurie has taught me how to breathe with exercise (Exhale on exertion!  In' through the nose, ex' through the mouth, like a cycle!), and the proper way of walking (Heel to toe, heel to toe, a stride that keeps the stress off the joints!).

Laurie is my guide in the gym.  As we make our circuits around the floor, it's striking how individuals--fit, brawny men all--defer to her.  As she tracks down a platform to support my lower back on the bench press, or a squishy ball between my knees to improve my form, it is apparent that everyone respects her greatly.   Where I used to be sore for days after just walking once around the neighborhood, I am astounded that I'm not doubled up in pain the day after a session with Laurie.  That's not to say that she's not working me hard: quite the opposite.  Many a day I have completely run out of ready energy and have got of bit of the "dropsies."  The first time this happened I was very scared, but Laurie, always watchful and seemingly always prepared, saw that I was hurting, diagnosed what was the matter, and peeled and segmented her orange that was shortly to return my blood sugar to a comfortable level.
 
Biggie Falls: Dropsies on a Swiss Ball.  Yes, I was afraid it was going to burst...
Laurie knows her science regarding the nature of the body's reactions whilst exercising, yet she has a real artistic adroitness in playing around with what works versus what doesn't.  I have specific dietary restrictions that pose a challenge in finding the right mixture of fuel and hydration; yet Laurie is always a step ahead of my thinking, suggesting foods that turn out to be on a fruitful path. 

Laurie has a knack for plating the perfect amount of weight for my point in progress.  I have sometimes sat in a machine, put up the first rep and thought, Kinda light, Laurie!  But Laurie then corrects my form--keeping my shoulders back, repositioning my feet, isolating all the effort off the joints and to the targeted muscle--and by the last rep I have a bit of a tremor in my action.  It never ceases to amaze me how much harder it becomes just by slowing down your motion.  Laurie dropped a bit of gym wisdom when she asked me, If you can't handle the weight at every point in the range of motion, are you really lifting that weight?  I may be being trained by a philosopher!  When I see the boor who repeatedly clangs the weight stack and violently shaking the cable crossover station, I know that Laurie would be appalled.

Laurie has a manifest expertise that quickly earned my complete trust that she will keep me safe.  If Laurie thinks I can do it, I am going to give it a try.  Laurie has a genuine earnestness and when I impress her--whether it be with good form and breathing, better than expected flexibility, or my personal record, duh duh du-duh! thirty-four second plank!--I know that she's pleased and happy for me, and I'm pleased and happy for me.

Laurie is so much more generous than the two hours billed.  I am in constant contact with her: I can email her, call her, and we exchange lots of text messages.  Laurie sends words of encouragement, follows up to see how my body reacted to a workout, and gives me advice on what and how to eat.  I can tell that Laurie goes to bed around 10:30 at night, because that's when her end of the conversation stalls.  But sure enough, early the next morning, Laurie gets back to me--no matter trivial, silly, or inherently "Google-able" my query is. 

If she has a free period on the days between our sessions, Laurie will do cardio right alongside of me, and this is great encouragement.  When a client canceled at the last minute, she has called me to see if I would like to get in some extra time, and I'm always on standby to get more time with Laurie!  If my schedule changes and I go to the club at a different time, I find myself walking around building looking for Laurie.  If she isn't there, she always seems interested in what I did and how I felt in post-workout text messages.  I love how Laurie ends almost every sentence with an exclamation point in these missives!  It perfectly matches her ebullient personality, and it is quite contagious!!!


Laurie exhibits an acutely sensitive antenna for emotions, even those I try very hard to suppress.  When I missed an independent day of working out, she could tell that I was depressed.  She can tell that I'm self-conscience about sound of my breathing and turns up the music to mask it.  She knows when I'm anxious, knows that I'm shy, and rather than letting me seem stuck-up by being aloof, she introduces me to a lot of people.  Laurie seems to know everyone's name and can tell you a little bit about their story.  One day there was an extremely cute co-ed working out around us, and I really wanted Laurie to break the ice for me.  I waited and waited, thinking, You introduce me to everyone, Laurie--her, her!  I finally asked if she would and Laurie said, I would have, but I thought it would make you nervous.  Yeah, I forcefully whispered, but I still wanna talk to a pretty girl!  And without missing a beat or taking it as a reproach, Laurie said, So-and-So, have you met Mark?  Quick on the draw and loved by all, that's Laurie Lefton!

No comments:

Post a Comment