Thursday, April 17, 2014

Getting Into the Spring Swing of Things


The coming of spring makes a world of difference: sunlight is of better quality; lush greens are restored to the landscape; and chirping birds have returned from wintering, heralding Winter's retreat to all of Nature's animals.  The humble animal I am, takes all this fresh stimulus in and loves it.  In addition to my efforts at Five Seasons--foundationally paramount they truly are--I have started walking in the great, Great, GREAT outdoors!, and I can see that it is helping in my journey to better fitness.

Sunday morning I went for a walk along the Ohio River.  Parking at Newport on the Levee and crossing the Purple People Bridge, I made a loop of the connected walking paths that comprise, from east to west, the Berry International Friendship, Sawyer Point, and Yeatman's Cove Parks.  The distinctions of borders matter little, as the whole strip of parks are, in their own ways, beautiful, with public artworks (my favorite being the larger-than-life bronze statue of Cincinnatus) and well maintained grounds throughout.  Not to mention the grand river vista that dominates one of your viewing sides!

It was a great walk of just over four mile, and closely felt like the distance of a 5K.  I am pleased that my body responded well to the exercise, and my mind too enjoyed the opportunity to wander, in a sort of active meditation.  As fate always places it, the greatest obstacle was near the finish: getting back up the ramp--probably a good hill but, after an hour of exercise, feeling like a mountain--leading to the Purple People Bridge.  But, as I slipped into a sort of low gear and slowed down, it was clear that a future goal would be making it up this hill as quickly and efficiently as I dispatched the four miles behind me. 

As I surmounted the hill, I was immediately given my reward: a breath-taking view from atop the Ohio River, a little more confidence from completing something new, 950 burned calories deposited in the weight-loss bank, and a great, ebullient energy that only comes with exercise.  Enough spoils to fill any day, enough accomplished to pack it in, all this by 11am!


P.S.  As I was trudging up towards the bridge's deck, thinking solely about staying upright and moving forward, a fellow fitness traveler from Five Seasons recognized me!  It's nice to have left an impression during this journey, and cool to see how small the world is when you go walking around it!

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Mark! You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete